Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Momma is having a hard time letting her baby grow up!

I remember this day like it was yesterday...
However, it was over six years ago!!!
Damon, my almost 10 year old, has always been my strong and independent child.
Derek, on the other hand, has been my cuddle bug...that child that no matter where I go, he is always right there stuck to my side.

At times, it can be a little nerve racking...not ever having more than the width of a sheet of paper between the two of us...not being able to leave him anywhere without tears, or at least a promise that I will soon return...not being able to wake up in my own bed without seeing him curled up between Greg and I...not being able to walk down the stairs to get something out of the garage without him screaming and running after me because he doesn't want me to leave him.
But it seems that these little things that got on my nerves before, are the same things that I am starting to miss...as my baby boy has decided to become a little man!

I guess I should have seen this coming...


He has, after all, wanted to follow in his daddy's footsteps.

I think it has hit me considerably hard in the past few weeks, with Derek's first season playing football. Within mere moments, I have watched him grow up right before my eyes. I notice him tucking his bottom lip and shrugging his shoulders...when a few months ago, his reaction would have been a melt down. Things that would have made him run into my arms crying...are now the things that simply make him grit his teeth and determine to be tough. When did my little baby boy get to be so grown up?

I know...I know...it is time, and I have to start letting go.
I am doing my best with this process, but if he still wants to crawl up into my lap and snuggle with me...I am NOT gonna put up a fight!
He can grow up as much as he wants...
as long as he doesn't mind being my baby for the rest of his life!




...Moore to come!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I LOVE the pictures of y'all. Okay, you're going to have to stop making me CRY with your posts! Your boys sure are handsome. Love to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete